That’s right! Blueberry pancakes have their own day of honor. We took your basic pancake recipe and replaced the white flour with healthy white whole wheat flour(King Arthur makes this and it’s pretty easy to find in most grocery stores) and flax and whole grain flour. Add some blueberries (fresh or frozen), local maple syrup and you have a warm and delicious mouthful of goodness.
Full Disclosure: We made these during the blizzard yesterday and had them for an afternoon snack…they’re not just for breakfast!
Below is a pic of the flax and whole grain flour that I used. My sister-in-law picked this up for us at the Concord NH Food Coop and it’s very good. Enjoy!
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup flax & whole grain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- vegetable spray or oil to grease cooking pan
- Mix liquid ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the liquid mixture
- Whisk until just combined
- Fold blueberries into the batter
- Oil or spray a large frying pan or griddle
- Heat to medium heat
- Ladle batter into hot pan to form pancakes
- Flip with spatula when bubbles appear on surface
- Keep cooked pancakes warm on a pan in a 200 degree oven
- This recipe makes 10 pancakes