Last year at the Wine Tasting, the caterer served a blueberry lemon zucchini cupcake with a buttercream topping. It was awesome! I needed to make something for an event this week but I didn’t feel like making a ton of cupcakes so I took the idea from last year’s cupcakes and made a Blueberry Lemon Zucchini bread which is still moist but a lot less calories.
First grate about a cup of zucchini…I had to buy this at the store because we are still early in the growing season for fresh zukes.
I grated onto a paper towel so I could squeeze the extra water out of the zucchini. Next mix all your wet ingredients together and add zucchini. In a separate bowl mix all your dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients.
Carefully fold in the blueberries. I had to use frozen so I tossed them in a tablespoon of flour so they wouldn’t sink in the pan. They did however bleed blue as you can see in the loaf pan.
Make sure to liberally spray your pan or use parchment paper because I had a little bread which stuck to the bottom of this particular loaf pan which was good because that needed to be eaten right away!
Yum and easy!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and sugar.
- Fold in shredded zucchini
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Transfer to greased loaf pan.
- Bake 50 minutes in oven or until cake tester inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan.