There is something about the combination of blueberry and lemons that is wonderful for the taste buds!
We have “healthified” this typical bar recipe with the addition of greek yogurt, white whole wheat flour and honey as a sweetener. As you can see from the picture, this makes for a very moist bar…may we suggest a fork with your square!
Keep them stored in the fridge and they are the perfect cool treat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Blueberry Lemon Squares
Serves: approx 16 bars
- For the crust:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the Filling:
- 1½ cups blueberries
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly grease an 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, oats, ½ cup honey, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle butter and lemon juice over mixture and stir.
- Press crust into bottom of pan.
- Combine blueberries, Greek yogurt, ¼ cup honey, 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla, lemon rind, and egg white. Stir well.
- Spread on top of crust.
- Bake at 325 for 40 minute or until edges are golden.
- Cool before serving. Store in refrigerator.